Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Monday, October 13, 2008

Power or Bliss?

They say knowledge is power. However, after tonight's baby birthing class I'm thinking more along the lines of...ignorance is bliss. But I digress. So we had our second class tonight. I'm proud to say Travis and I acted like adults and we didn't get in trouble. Point for us. Anyway, we were shown another film, which illustrated different kinds of births. We saw natural births, a birth mom that got an epidural (YOU GO GIRL) and a cesarean. All in all it was a little "TMI," as in too much information. They crammed all of these different birth scenarios into a 10 minute video. I felt a tad bit overwhelmed at the end. Travis reminded me that we were with the YOU GO GIRL, so I just really needed to focus on her epidural induced, pain-free experience. She seemed to smile more than the other ladies in the video. And it wasn't I'm smiling cause they are filming me smile, it was a real smile. Believe me, I know the difference. So, I think we've chosen the correct "labor plan" as our nurse likes to call it. Done deal. Bring on the smiles.

Then it was time for our trip to the hospital. I have to say I was so impressed with East Alabama Medical Center. The birthing suits were huge and they seemed to be equipped with all the latest gadgets and gizmos. That made Travis happy. He loves gizmos. I myself like the gadgets. I did notice, out of all the fathers, Travis seemed to ask the most questions. Which I thought was really sweet and cute. And the teacher seemed to ask him to do the most favors, like hand out papers or hold doors. Some in our group started calling him "teacher's pet." He loved that too. I just rolled my eyes a lot.

The funniest part of the night came when our teacher asked who wanted to cut the umbilical cord. Well, I thought Travis was going to jump out of his skin to get his hand in the air the fastest. He actually said out loud, "Oh yea, that's for me." That elicited quite a chuckle from our group. Then he proceeded to tell me in a proud, loud whisper that he was going to use his "Leatherman" knife to do the deed. He was serious. Later, he explained to me he had "field dressed deers" before (whatever that means) so he was prepared for the blood and other fluids. He was dead serious when he explained this to me. Only my husband can compare the joy of child birthing to HIS joy of hunting. Still, you gotta love him and his enthusiasm. It was a good night. I'm lucky to have such an involved "labor coach." Mason, your daddy sure does love you and one day he will teach you how to use your own "Leatherman" to "field dress a deer." It will probably be one of the best moments of his life and yours.



Photobucket

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Oh, lord!!!

Julee H. Nappier said...

So cute...and funny! Yes, you really do need to opt. for the YOU GO GIRL epi.

Just remember, you go to the hospital the moment you start to have steady contractions...I waited too long with Claire and it was TOO LATE to get one! Oh, yeah, NOT FUN!!!

Chip, Allyson and Karlee Baker said...

Too funny! It sounds like the class was just the fun thing you needed on Monday. Chip was shaking when it came time to cut the cord. It was a little overwhelming for him once the time had actually arrived.

The Auburn Polks said...

This so sounds like something my brother would say and do.