Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas

What an amazing time to bring new life into the world. Mom and Dad are here from Atlanta. My mom is staying with us for a month to help out. I feel closer to her than ever, which is amazing because she has always been my very best friend. Alan and his wife Tracey are also visiting. And my dad drove four hours back and forth from Atlanta to bring my grandmother's over for the holiday. Travis's parents, Tracy and William, Adam and Russell came for Christmas morning. Once again, everyone did way to much for us and our little Mason. I took five rolls of film of Mason, dressed in his Santa outfit! Super cute stuff.























Mason is a little angel. Does every mom say that? Mom....I'm a MOM! Anyway, he really is a good baby. He hardly ever cries. He loves to be cuddled and rocked. The only thing that seems to upset him is when he looses a sock. Travis can swaddle him in two seconds flat and I'm enjoying nursing. He has gained back almost all the weight he lost after he was born. We are having to supplement with formula along with nursing. Travis and the grandma enjoys giving him a bottle and Mason isn't picky, as long as he gets his dinner. He grew almost an inch in four days and is already holding up his head by himself.







We are slowly getting more comfortable handling him and transitioning from nervous parents into somewhat confident ones. As long as my mom is near, she is really a baby whisperer. I love being a mother. I can just stare at him for hours at a time, I'd rather be spending time with him that doing anything else.

I will never forget the feeling of pure love that washed over me when I first sang Mason The Itsy Bitsy Spider, I balled like a baby. We were rocking after I had nursed him he was falling asleep and I started singing, and barely choked my way through it. It was at that moment I realized I was someones mother. I wasn't overwhelmed, just satisfied with my place in the world. Thank you God.












Travis is an incredible father. He is so supportive of me, during those hormonal moments. Sometimes you will just cry for no reason at all!!!! He's up for every feeding, every diaper change and usually is the one picking out outfits for him and coordinating his socks and hats. During those first days Travis really took the lead as I followed, not as confident in my new role as he was. Plus, the c-section was no joy ride and I was not feeling physically like myself. I love that about Travis, he knows when to let me be...well....me. Strong, confident and full of myself. But he also knows when I'm feeling unsure of myself, and steps in and takes care of everything until I'm ready to be me again. I love leaning on him and he always shoulders the responsibility.


As I type, little Mason is swaddled and sleeping in his crib. In about an hour I will hear soft coos and maybe a few grunts and it's time to start our routine of feeding, rocking, changing and singing. I have never been so at peace, so content with my place in the universe, as a mom, a wife and a daughter. There is no greater joy. The reason for this season has never been more clear to me. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to our family and friends. We love you.

4 comments:

Chip, Allyson and Karlee Baker said...

The tears are flowing over here reading this. Enjoy every moment. There is nothing like motherhood.

Amanda at Amanda's Parties To Go said...

Elizabeth, Thank you so much for writing such sweet, heartfelt words about your little baby boy. Sometimes as a mom of three older kids who are fighting over EVERY little thing, I can forget those moments that you've written about here. You are absolutely right -- being a mom is an amazing experience -- one that can't compare to quite anything else. I'm so glad he's a good baby & you're cherishing every moment with him. Merry Christmas!

Julee H. Nappier said...

He is so precious! Don't you just love having a blog so you can share your memories and pictures of your precious little one.(:

John Smith said...

The C-section definitely makes you take everything slower.Dont worry,it gets easier as your body recovers.Give your self plenty of time. And Travis-the hormones eventually even out!! Let us know when you can stand having more visitors. Beth and I want to come see y'all and Mason.